Smith-Rowe Through the Years
Smith-Rowe was formed in 1983 in Mt. Airy, NC, by Founders Russell Smith and David Rowe and focused on bridges for many years. The company has seen many changes over the years, each one giving us the basis to be where we are today. We are a multi-faceted, hard working team, now active in many types of construction: bridges, grading, roadway, utilities, signage, culverts, walls and foundations, clearing/logging, marine, demolition, and concrete and rock crushing/processing. Below is a timeline detailing the growth of the company since inception:
In the 1970's
- 1979: Surry Bridge Builders formed by Russell Smith and Carl Ray Smith.
In the 1980's
- 1983: Smith-Rowe, Inc. formed by Founders Russell Smith and David Rowe, aided by Owen Stone, Office Manager.
- 1983: Built first bridge in “Jot Em Down” North Carolina.
- 1985: Constructed first culvert in Pittsylvania County, Virginia
In the 1990's
- 1994: Constructed first Sound Wall project in Guilford County.
- 1995: Completed construction of our 100th bridge project.
- 1998: Untimely passing of one of the original Founders, Mr. Russell Smith.
In the 2000's
- 2000: Completed construction of our 50th culvert.
- 2002: Completed construction of our 200th bridge.
- 2007: Awarded first Grading project (King, NC).
- 2007: Awarded first Utility project (King, NC).
- 2008: Awarded first demolition job as a subcontractor (Nash County).
- 2008: Awarded first Signage project.
In the 2010's
- 2010: Completed construction of our 300th bridge.
- 2011: Formed new Smith-Rowe, LLC, with officers David Rowe (President), Locke Rowe (Vice President), Jody Phillips (Vice President), and Frank Fulp (Secretary).
- 2011: First Concrete Crushing project (Wake County).
- 2013: First Clearing project as a subcontractor (Wake County).
- 2014: Completed Smith-Rowe office / yard expansion project.
- 2014: Formed Intercoastal Marine, LLC.
- 2014: Bought our 30th crane.
- 2015: Have over 200 employees on staff.
- 2015: Have completed well over 400 bridges and almost 100 culverts.
- 2018: Have over 300 employees on staff.
- 2018: Awarded first Joint Venture project.
- 2018: Largest to date subcontract for a single project in Guilford County.
- 2019: First Mass Grading contract for more than 3 million cubic yards.
In the 2020's
- Surviving the pandemic.
- 2020 - Have completed well over 500 bridges and over 100 culverts.